Saturday, April 23, 2011

Thomas H. Handy

stats: Straight Rye Whiskey, 132.7 proof, 8 years 4 months, $50

This is the same whiskey as the 18 yr Sazerac that I wrote about last year, but with less aging, and bottled at barrel proof. That means the whiskey is bottled directly from the barrel, with no water added to reduce the proof. And at over 132 proof, it's got a hell of a kick. My mom tried to taste this one. When the glass approached her lips, her free hand shot up over one eye, and she screeched "Aghhhh, the vapors burned my eye!!!" I think my mom should stick to chardonnay. If I had to describe this whiskey with one word, it would be "intense". Powerful aroma, big burn, lots of flavor. This is a great whiskey, beautiful spicy rye flavors in a bold package, with a strong finish that just keeps kicking. Not for the novice drinker. Named after the bartender who first used rye whiskey instead of French brandy in the Sazerac cocktail.

No comments: