Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mango Salsa


Okay, I’m going off topic tonight – it’s recipe time. If you’re going to be a whisky swilling, lone-wolf recluse, and you want to eat well, you’d better learn to cook. While I have no formal culinary training, I have worked in some great restaurants over that last 5 or 6 years, and I have always tried to pay attention to what the masters were doing in the kitchen. In doing so, I have learned many new techniques, ingredients and concepts, along with garnering inspiration. This has led to my mango salsa. Tonight it topped off a piece of grilled Sockeye salmon, accompanied by long grain & wild rice and a bottle of 2004 Sineann Pinot Noir. If the Unabomber had eaten like this, he might have been content with life. This is sort of a seat-of-the-pants recipe, all quantities are very rough estimates.

Mango (1/2, medium)
Granny Smith apple (1/4, medium)
Vidalia onion (1/4 or less, medium)
Orange Bell pepper (1/4 or less, medium)
Tomato (1 medium to small, or 5 Grape size)

All of the above are Brunoise cut (very fine dice, 1mm to 3mm cubed).
This takes me forever, I should own a food processor.

Then add:

Red wine vinegar (1 tablespoon)
Lemon Juice (1 teaspoon)
Agave nectar (2 teaspoons)
Cholula hot sauce (2 teaspoons)

Chill and enjoy.


No comments: